14 November 2009

Back from Germany!!

I don't have a hell of a lot of time to type this up, so no odubt it'll be in two parts -- the fanwalk, and then the staying in Germany after it was over.
It starts like this:
On the 26th I woke up nice and early, and got carted off to the train station. After three trains (including the underground) I got too heathrow and met up with Katie. Soon enough we were met by Kim, Lex, Richy and Aggy. There was a question hanging above alol of our heads though -- Who was the 7th fanwalker; we knew his name was Patrick, but who he was in terms of what he looked like was a mystery to us all. More importantly we also wondered where he was!
Alas, it turns out that he waqs sat just behind myself and Lex at the boarding gate -- and Katie let us know it's Patrick after going "GUYS! IT IS PATRICK!" After we had some speculation whether the boy stood behind us was our fellow UK Fanwalker. Whether he heard us continously asking "where's Patrick?" we don't know, I think he had earphones in.

Anyway, we soon arrived in Hamburg, and the mystery of  "Who's Patrick?" was finally solved. Two fanwalk ladies found us, after we'd spent ages getting to the baggage claim, and walked us to the mini-bus that would be taking us to where we would be sleeping for the night! After puffing away on cigarettes, and settling on the bus we were soon joined by the Portuguese and one lonely Norwegian who had arrived much earlier than the others.

As we travelled to our destination, it was sort of fascinating looking out the window and seeing how little difference there was between Hamburg and Britian. The only difference was the houses, and apartment buildings where much nicer! Then we arrived at the Meninger Hostel, where it was postivily swimming with excited fanwalkers!! Sadly we couldn't go to our rooms as they wouldn't be ready until 3pm. Luckily the time flew, we all checked in, got our goodiebags -- two tshirts, a neon yellow bag, a red coat and a blue hoodie, and then whisked ourselves off to our respective rooms. And at first it seemed as if I was to have a four bed room to myself; the idea excited me because it meant it could be the UK Party room!

A trip to the local markt called Toom brought us Apple liquor, 2.99 wine for myself. And copius other bottles of whatever for the others. We started drinking, might as well live up to the name of Binge Drinking Britian. The question of  "when do we get our phones?" now hanging over our heads. Typically the phones arrived late, but we got them (finally) just before dinner. The fact that I knew how to use it almost straight away, and was helping and knew so much about last years fanwalk got people asking me whether I actually worked for the fanwalk organisation which tickled me a bit, I must admit!

Then it was dinner time! And I was starving! We had to sit in groups corresponding to the coloured buttons we were given, a good thing - oh, and by this time I had found out I was bunking with the Irish girls! I was pleased as I was quite worried I'd end up in a room with three others who didn't know English very well. Haha. Anyway, dinner was pasta with some sort of sauce. (It wasn't that nice) and there was this funky looking brown stuff in a bowl, which Tom (Bassist from Pardon Ms Arden) said was really nice, some chocolate pudding and I should try some. I did, I tried some of Katie's and it was yuck! But I'm picky, so..

Then Troy was introduced  to us! And he decided we needed to do some speed-dating! Which was quite hilarious as it was so hard to hear what anyone was saying! But yeah, that was fun and after that we went off to finish drinking our alcohol and I ended up in the bar with Tom, Nick (guitarist and lead vocalist for Pardon Ms Arden) and Aggy. Nick bought me my first ever shot of Jager.. And I was done for. Katie and Tina (an Austrian fanwalker) had to drag me back to my room, where I ended up puking (in the toilet) and passing out only to be found by the Irish girls, Gill, Elaine and Emma. Emma, apparently, asked if I wanted to get into some pyjamas and I told her no and woke up in my clothes. (But in my bed. Luckily.)

Safe to say, I woke up feeling like utter shit!

This is to be continued as I have to go to work!